Joseph, Christmas, and the Christian Life

The birth of Jesus Christ came about this way: After his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, it was discovered before they came together that she was pregnant from the Holy Spirit. So her husband Joseph, being a righteous man, and not wanting to disgrace her publicly, decided to divorce her secretly. But after he had considered these things, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, don’t be afraid to take Mary as your wife, because what has been conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:18-21

Have you ever committed yourself to follow the Lord, only to run into a surprising roadblock?

Have you ever committed yourself to follow the Lord, worked through the surprising roadblock with biblical wisdom, and then have yet another surprising twist from God?

So did Joseph. Yeah, that Joseph. Not the one with the colorful coat and the jealous brothers. The one who was Jesus’ dad. That Joseph.

Joseph was a righteous man. Did everything “by the book.” Engaged to a righteous woman. Hopeful for a beautiful Jewish marriage and family. Joseph walked with God. Then he learned that his wife was pregnant. He knew he had nothing to do with it. So, after what must have been hours of agonizing hurt and wisdom seeking, he did what he thought was the right and godly thing to do: divorce Mary quietly, so as to preserve her reputation as much as possible. It was then – THEN – the Lord revealed His plan to Joseph.

Joseph walked with God and had high hopes for a godly marriage and family.

Joseph learned unbearable news and did what he believed to be in the best interest of everyone – including God – and planned to get out of the marriage.

THEN God made His plan known.

Expectations. Obedience. Roadblocks. Wisdom. Agony. Plans. Godly counsel. Revelation. Surprise. The unexpected.

Part of me wants to get angry at God and ask Him why in the world did He not make this known to Joseph before he agonized over the news and the decision to divorce Mary? Why wait until after, what had to have been a horrific few days for Joseph? Why not reveal to both Joseph and Mary the plan – at the same time – together? Why force Joseph to endure all of the heartache, pain, seeking, evaluating, etc.?

I don’t know.

But what I do know is that this is a picture of the Christian life. There are times when we don’t know the best course of action. We must agonize and seek and gather and make a godly decision. There are also times when God makes His plans specifically and clearly known. When, how, where, and why . . . well, that’s for the good Father to work out.

One thing is sure, however. There is a really big take-away here. When we don’t know what to do or why things are happening, doing our best to align with God’s will – even when it hurts – is wisdom. It is the Christian life. Doing so may not guarantee hearing clearly from the Lord. But it sure does put you in a much better position to do so if/when He chooses to bring clarity.

What surprising roadblock has He put in front of you? Where are you getting your direction and wisdom and insight from? Until further notice, seek godliness and righteousness, doing everything you can out of love. He may make it plain. He may not. But you are putting yourself in the best position to hear clearly from the loving One behind the scenes.

Trust and Obey. For there’s no other way. . .

10 Comments

• Randy Templeton says:

Good stuff Matt! Thanks for the posts, I enjoy them very much. Love the way you teach/preach the word. Some of this spoke directly to some things I’m praying about. Amazing how that works isn’t it? Merry Christmas my friend!

• We stumbled over here from a different page and thought I may as well
    check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you.
    Look forward to looking into your web page again.

• nike air max says:

I in addition to my buddies appeared to be analyzing the nice recommendations on your web page and then quickly came up with a terrible suspicion I never thanked the site owner for those strategies. All of the women became absolutely excited to see all of them and already have in actuality been tapping into them. Thank you for being so accommodating as well as for considering this sort of quality topics most people are really desperate to understand about. My personal honest regret for not expressing gratitude to earlier.

• curry 6 says:

I as well as my buddies came analyzing the good pointers located on your web blog while then I got a terrible suspicion I never expressed respect to you for those tips. These women were definitely totally glad to read them and already have simply been loving those things. Thank you for turning out to be quite thoughtful and then for deciding on varieties of beneficial resources most people are really desperate to know about. Our honest apologies for not saying thanks to sooner.

• g says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about
    this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message
    home a little bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog.
    A great read. I’ll certainly be back.

• g says:

There is definately a great deal to know about this subject.

I really like all the points you have made.

• fila shoes says:

I want to voice my affection for your kind-heartedness in support of individuals that have the need for help on that question. Your very own dedication to passing the solution along turned out to be especially significant and have specifically empowered individuals much like me to realize their ambitions. This valuable information means this much to me and additionally to my office workers. Thanks a lot; from everyone of us.

• Whats up are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m
    new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up
    my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• I must get across my love for your kindness giving support to those who actually need guidance on this particular situation. Your very own commitment to getting the solution all around ended up being pretty practical and have specifically empowered some individuals like me to get to their objectives. Your own warm and friendly tutorial denotes this much a person like me and especially to my peers. With thanks; from all of us.